There are so many home fitness routines floating around the internet that it can be hard to tell what really works, so here are some of the most effective workouts with no equipment necessary.
Having a strong core does more than tone your stomach. It can also protect your inner organs, stop back pain, prevent injury and improve posture. Here are a few routines that have a great effect on the body.
- Crunches are an obvious starting point, but to really strengthen your core use your legs by extending them up into the air and hold for eight crunches (it hurts, but it works.)
- Another effective exercise goes like this: Pull your knees towards your chest, raise your upper body in a standard crunch position and then touch your right knee with your left elbow whilst extending the left leg and repeat for 10.
- Other effective abdominal exercises include the side plank, the superman (lie on your stomach with your legs straight and arms in front and then raise the arms and legs off the floor so you are balancing on your torso and hold)
You don’t need fancy gym weights, you have your own body to work with!
- Push Ups. Make sure your hands are directly under your shoulders and you lift and lower your body in one motion.
- Rise into a push up and hold it.
- The spider lunge. From plank position move one bent leg forward and back and repeat with the other for a few rounds.
- Make sure your legs are shoulder width apart and your weight is balanced in the middle.
- The single leg deadlift. Stand with a straight back, move one leg behind and slowly lift it whilst making sure your back remains flat and your head is parallel.
- The wall sit. Literally just stand against a wall, bend your legs and hold a seating position for thirty seconds.
These fast-paced routines will get you sweating in no time.
- Try the squat jump. From a squatting position, jump up and land with bent legs.
- Jumping jacks.
- Jog on the spot.
- start in a squat position, jump out into plank, jump up and reach up with your arms, and repeat.
- Tuck jump. Start with your knees bent, jump up high and tuck your knees into your chest in mid-air.
- Cross trainers – are an amazing low impact workout. For more details on trainers see http://ellipticalhome.co.uk/