The Connie Dwyer Breast Center
Too often, women put the health care needs of their loved ones in front of their own, leaving themselves vulnerable to preventable diseases. This is one of the reasons Saint Michael's Medical Center is committed to providing accessible healthcare to women to ensure they receive comprehensive services from a supportive and compassionate team of health care experts.
Founded in October 2004, The Connie Dwyer Breast Center at Saint Michael’s Medical Center is a comprehensive, state-of-the-art facility providing expert diagnosis and treatment of breast disease and the finest breast cancer prevention, early detection, and educational outreach programs in northern New Jersey.
Celebrating 10 Years
As the Connie Dwyer Breast Center celebrates its 10th anniversary, we are so proud of the difference it has made for countless women in our community. See why the breast center is such a vital service provider to women in Newark, and how the center is expanding its services to ensure that every woman has access to the best treatments available.
We understand that women are often coming to us to discuss very difficult health issues. That's why we put the patient's needs first with services that include:
- 24-business-hour biopsy results
- Breast Care Navigator
- State-of-the-art diagnostic services and technology, including 3-D Tomosynthesis Mammography
- Top-notch radiologists
- Family-centered care
Nadine Pappas, M.D., Breast Surgeon
To help ensure early cancer detection and treatment, The Connie Dwyer Breast Center employs a host of advanced diagnostic techniques, such as
- Full-field digital mammography with computer-aided detection — We are a fully digital breast center offering digital mammography using computer imaging as a “second set of eyes” to detect minute calcifications.
- 3-D Tomosynthesis mammography — We offer the latest mammography technology available. Our two, 3-D Tomosynthesis suites take 3-D images of the breast. This revolutionary technology gives radiologists the ability to identify and characterize individual breast structures without the confusion of overlapping tissue. Viewing breast tissue in 3-D images allows for clearer more accurate readings that can identify breast cancer in its earliest stages, when prognosis is best.
- Miraluma® — a nuclear imaging technique used in conjunction with mammography, helps find cancers in women with particularly dense breast tissue.
- High-resolution breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI
- Sterotactic and ultrasound-guided biopsies
Recognizing that breast cancer is a highly curable disease if early detection and multi-disciplinary care are provided, The Connie Dwyer Breast Center reaches out to more than 1,500 women annually through a series of free educational sessions and breast cancer screenings at the hospital and in the community, with outreach performed at churches, schools, community centers, and other local organizations.
The Center’s mission is to provide advanced breast care — from screening to diagnosis to treatment — for all women, with a special focus on addressing glaring statistical disparities in breast cancer’s impact among African-American and Hispanic women. Too often, the illness goes undetected until it has reached an advanced state. By increasing public awareness and promoting the importance of regularly scheduled mammograms, the Center’s staff works to reduce the number of stage three and stage four cancers among all patient populations.
For more information, please call (973) 877-5189.
The Connie Dwyer Breast Center at Saint Michael's Medical
Center offers patients sophisticated care in a comfortable setting.